BConnects: College Counseling
Our conversations with colleges have assured us that while the road ahead may be unprecedented, we are not alone, and the Berkeley Carroll College Counseling Office will continue to support students and families as we move to remote learning.
The issues we are facing are global, affecting other high schools and students across the country and around the world. Our colleagues in higher education have had to cancel the academic, co-curricular, and residential schedules for their current students, including study abroad. They have halted recruitment activities for future classes, including those arriving this fall and those interested in applying for Fall 2021. College admissions officers are eager to help support all of our students and families as they navigate the college search and decision making process. And, they are very aware of necessary changes to academic schedules, co-curricular and extracurricular activities, and standardized testing opportunities.
We will be updating this page regularly with support resources to ensure students and families are prepared for the requirements of the college application process.
Support for Students and Families
The College Counseling Office is eager to support all families as we navigate this time of uncertainty. The College Counselors will be available to seniors and their families to assist in final planning for college enrollment in the fall. We will also be available to juniors and their families to navigate the college search process within a changed landscape. And, we will assist sophomores and first year Upper School students in navigating any issues that arise which are college-related and may impact their decision making. We will, of course, highlight any planned programming intended to continue informing younger students about the college process.
In the coming weeks, we hope to support families in the following ways:For seniors:
- Ensure continuity of support for students and families still evaluating college admissions offers, including assisting families in reviewing financial aid packages.
- Provide advice and advocacy for seniors who decide to pursue the option of reserving a space on a college’s or university’s waiting list.
- Partner with the Director of Alumni Programs at BC to create virtual programming for seniors, especially first generation college seniors, as they enroll in college.
- Provide the opportunity for seniors and their families to schedule meeting times, as needed, around the remote schedule.
- Continue conversations about researching the colleges on their preliminary lists, noting that many students may not have had the opportunity to make physical campus visits.
- Provide resources for virtual tours and information sessions, webinars, and other events that colleges have created to introduce students to their campuses.
- Support students as they manage their plans for standardized testing, especially given test cancellations and evolving college and university requirements as well as policies.
- Construct programs, leveraging our relationship with colleges and universities and peer schools, to provide creative options for learning about individual colleges and the application process.
- Provide the opportunity for juniors and their families to schedule meeting times, as needed, around the remote schedule.
- Prepare our students, as we always have, for meeting the requirements of the college application process throughout the summer and fall.
Making an Appointment with our College Counselors
11th and 12th graders (and their families), please schedule an appointment with your counselor using Calendly (you don’t need to have an account to use it and it will automatically integrate with Zoom and Google Calendar):
To schedule an appointment with Ms. Middleton, https://calendly.com/cmiddleton-bcs
To schedule an appointment with Ms. Williams, https://calendly.com/khaliahwilliams
To schedule an appointment with Mr. Almonte, https://calendly.com/lalmonte-bcs
9th and 10th graders (and their families) with questions are encouraged to email a member of our team. (email addresses are in Veracross):
Carolyn Middleton, Director of College Counseling
Khaliah Williams, College Counselor
Luis Almonte, College Counselor
Mary Dunne, College Office Operations Manager