Head of School Search
The search committee is being led by our Board of Trustees Vice Chair, Amy Bender. Their charge is to present to the Board one or more exceptional and thoroughly vetted candidates. Members are dedicated, both individually and collectively, to ensuring that every member of the Berkeley Carroll community has an opportunity to give input with respect to qualities that we should be seeking, as well as to offer nominations. We encourage everyone to participate in this most important endeavor.
In preparation for the June 2019 departure of Bob Vitalo, the Board of Trustees has actively begun work to find Berkeley Carroll’s next Head of School. Bob’s tenure at the school has been exceptional, and we are deeply grateful to him for putting our school in such a solid position—academically, financially, and administratively—as we begin this search.
To ask a question about the search or submit a nomination, please email BerkeleyCarrollHOS@spencerstuart.com.
This webpage will be updated regularly.
* April 2018 - Position Specification for the next Head of School (pdf).
* Late February 2018 - online survey was sent to all constituents to gather additional feedback from the community.
* February 7, 2018 – Spencer Stuart completed on-campus meetings with parents, faculty and administrators, soliciting their input about the school—its current state, aspirations, and most importantly, what they are seeking in the next head.
* January 29, 2018 - Search committee members added to the webpage.
* January 10, 2018 - Click here to read letters from Board of Trustees Chair Joe Polizzotto and Head of School Robert Vitalo’s to the BC community.
Amy Bender, Vice Chair, Board of Trustees
Becky Blumenthal, Faculty
Lydia Denworth, Parent
Erika Drezner, Faculty
Matt Erdosy, Faculty
Denise Gamble, Trustee
Katya Jestin, Trustee
Susan Marcinek, Trustee
Brandie Melendez, Faculty
Prashant Mupparapu, Trustee
Jay Rao, Trustee
Chad Ruble, Trustee
Chris Welch, Trustee
To guide us in our search process we have retained Spencer Stuart, a national executive search firm with extensive experience finding educational leaders at institutions ranging from independent schools to major universities. The Spencer Stuart team will be led by Michele Haertel, and include Mary Gorman and Meg Becker.
If you have questions or nominations you'd like to submit, please send us an email.