Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of close to 1,000 students located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in New York City. Our vibrant intellectual community draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
Berkeley Carroll seeks a full-time Spanish bilingual associate PreKindergarten teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Our Spanish program is based on the belief that children learn a language best when they hear and use it in meaningful contexts. In pre-Kindergarten, Bilingual Associate Teachers teach Spanish within the classroom, setting the stage for continued Spanish learning for the duration of the Lower and Middle School experience.
Bilingual Associate Teachers are interested in exploring a career in education and are expected to be working on growing their teaching practice and increasing their level of independence over time. Structures for this include close planning and observation and feedback with Lead Teachers, as well as goal-setting and workshops with the Dean of Faculty, Instructional Coaches and Curriculum Coordinators.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with the Lead Teacher on all aspects of classroom instruction and student support
- Planning and teaching lessons and Morning Meetings in Spanish
- Learning the grade level curriculum, instructional frameworks and best practices in teaching, and how to implement them independently
- Assisting with classroom routines and tasks such as record keeping, attendance, dismissal planning, materials preparation, and data collection
- Additional duties related to the safe operation of a Lower School (i.e., arrival, lunch, dismissal)
- Participating (with guidance) in parent communication, including Back to School Night, report card writing, and Parent/Guardian conferences
- Attending after school meetings and professional development sessions
- Assuming Lead Teacher role when partnering Lead teacher is absent
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience working with young children and readiness to lead group activities independently in Spanish
- Interest in learning about and supporting all aspects of child development
- Excitement for collaborating with a team of professionals to create innovative, integrated learning experiences
- Attention to the role of diversity and identity in a community, and a recognition of one’s own biases and how they may impact one’s perspectives and actions
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree; current enrollment in an Early Childhood or Elementary Education Masters program is a plus
Associate teachers are eligible to apply for tuition assistance for classwork towards earning a Masters degree.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has the opportunity to experience a sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and will be offered commensurate with experience and credentials. The salary range for this position is $50-55K.
All employees of Berkeley Carroll are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Briar Sauro, Assistant Director of Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org
Becky Blumenthal, Lower School Dean of Faculty: email@example.com
Erita Doko, Administrative Assistant to the Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org