Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of almost 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in New York City. Our vibrant learning environment draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
The Library Assistant’s main responsibility is to help the library fulfill its mission by providing support to the library’s professional staff. This member of the library team must be technologically savvy, actively contribute to innovation, take initiative, work well independently, have a keen visual eye toward creative and inclusive displays, be detail-oriented with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, and possess a love of reading.
This position is 25 hours per week and pays $27.50/hour when school is in session for the 2022-23 school year.
The preferred candidate will be enrolled in an accredited Library/ Information Science Master’s program, and be an avid reader with knowledge and enthusiasm for young adult and adult literature.
- Assist in creating and maintaining an inclusive environment that supports the intellectual, social and emotional, and cultural growth of students and is conducive to learning and collaboration of teaching staff
- Circulation – check in and shelve library materials; assist patrons with catalog search and check out; generate overdue notices, etc.
- Assist with physical and digital maintenance of Upper School print and digital collections including processing and cataloging new materials in Follett Destiny, weeding, and updating and maintaining Sora ebook collections
- Assist students and faculty in finding resources and reading materials for research, curriculum or pleasure (reader’s advisory)
- Assist with reading promotion, programming and special projects, the BC Libraries Instagram, and LibGuides, keeping in mind the importance of the representation of diverse perspectives and identities
- Assist with creating bulletin boards, book displays, and maintaining the physical appearance of the library space so that it is inviting and welcoming
- Troubleshoot basic technical issues with computers, printers, and other digital equipment
- Provide afterschool coverage of the library space each weekday
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Able to push and lift up to 25lbs and able to engage in frequent movement (standing, walking, crouching, twisting, reaching)
- Ability to work M-F from 3:00-6:00 pm
All employees of Berkeley Carroll are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has a true sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
Kris Hartley-Maneri, Director of Libraries and Information Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org