Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of almost 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in New York City. Our vibrant learning environment draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
The Library Assistant’s main responsibility is to help the library fulfill its mission by providing support to the library’s professional staff. This member of the library team must be technologically savvy, actively contribute to innovation, take initiative, work well independently, be detail-oriented with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, and possess a love of reading.
The preferred candidate will be enrolled in an accredited Library/Information Science Master’s program, and be an avid reader with knowledge and enthusiasm for middle grade and young adult literature.
- Contribute to creating and maintaining an inclusive environment that is conducive to learning and collaboration of teaching staff and supports the intellectual, social and emotional, and cultural growth of students
- Circulation – check in and shelve library materials (5th-8th grade = roughly 9,000 a year in circulation); assist patrons with catalog search and check out; generate overdue notices, etc.
- Assist with the maintenance of the Middle School print and digital collections, including processing and cataloging new materials in Follett Destiny (5th-8th grade = roughly 800 books a year), shelf-reading, weeding, and updating and maintaining Sora ebook collections
- Provide Reader’s Advisory and support students and teachers in finding and accessing print materials and online resources
- Promote reading and books, including book talking, co-facilitating the Mock Newbery Club, creating engaging programming, and designing/updating bulletin boards and book displays
- Assist with BC Libraries Instagram and updating LibGuides
- Supervise and support students in meeting the community norms of the Middle School and library
- Troubleshoot basic technical issues with computers, printers, and other digital equipment
- Maintain the physical appearance of the library space so that it is inviting and welcoming
- Perform other library-related duties as assigned by the director
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Able to push and lift up to 25lbs and able to engage in frequent movement (standing, walking, crouching, twisting, reaching)
All employees of Berkeley Carroll are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has the opportunity to experience a sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
This position is 25 hours per week and pays $27.50/hour when school is in session for the 2023-24 school year. Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Kris Hartley-Maneri, Director of Libraries and Information Resources: email@example.com