Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through Grade 12 college preparatory school of close to 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in New York City. Our vibrant intellectual community draws students from all over the city; admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
The Berkeley Carroll School seeks a Debate teacher with competitive debate experience and an educator’s mindset for a full-time position beginning in January 2022. Our middle school includes grades 5 through 8, and our high school grades 9-12.
Entering its 28th year, the Speech & Debate program at BC includes an active, vibrant, competitive coterie of youngsters accustomed to regular weekend competitions as well as states and the major national invitationals. Currently all speech and debate competitions are held virtually but the leagues we work with are in the process of setting protocols to resume in-person tournaments.
- Experience coaching Policy, Public Forum, Congressional Debate and Extemporaneous Speaking (An existing speech coach handles Interpretation events)
- Ability to work with speech coaches, parents and alumni to coordinate registration, requesting payments and judging at tournaments.
- Experience with the demanding expectations of a tournament schedule. Coaching forensics requires a calm dedication to the reality of how much time and patience are required to sustain and foster individual growth and to a team ethos that values cooperation and support more even than external achievement and accolades.
- Intelligence, stamina, optimism, humor and an abiding interest in the developmental qualities of this age group.
Duties would include:
- Running the debate classes in middle and high school
- Coaching and supervising tournaments on Monday and Friday evenings from 6pm-8pm and on most weekends from 8am-5pm.
- Traveling with the teams to local and away venues
- Faculty Duties in the Upper School as assigned.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to an inclusive program and a diverse faculty and student body. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
All employees of Berkeley Carroll are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
The start date will be January 3, 2022.
Please send a completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application, along with a cover letter and resume with a list of references to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.