The Berkeley Carroll School is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school close to 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of New York City. Our vibrant learning environment draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
Associate Teachers work closely with one Head Teacher in a self-contained K to 4th grade classroom, collaborating on all aspects of classroom life. This includes working closely with the Head Teacher on planning and teaching lessons, working with individual and small groups of students, supporting family communication, participating in arrival and dismissal duties, and assisting with classroom administrative tasks such as record keeping and materials preparation. Associate Teachers are expected to be working on growing their teaching practice and increasing their level of teaching independence over time. Structures for this include observation and feedback with Head Teachers, as well as goal-setting and workshops with the Dean of Faculty and the Curriculum Coaches. Associate Teachers participate in all aspects of school life, including faculty meetings and professional development.
- Experience working with elementary-aged children
- Interest in learning about and supporting all aspects of child development, including social/emotional development and community building as well as academic learning
- Excitement for collaborating with a team of professionals to create innovative, integrated learning experiences
- Attention to the role of diversity and identity in a community, and a recognition of one’s own biases and how they may impact one’s perspectives and actions
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
Associates are eligible to apply for tuition assistance for work towards a Masters degree.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has a true sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Briar Sauro, Assistant Director of Lower School: email@example.com
Becky Blumenthal, Lower School Dean of Faculty: firstname.lastname@example.org
Erita Doko, Administrative Assistant to the Lower School: email@example.com