Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of close to 1,000 students located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in New York City. Our vibrant intellectual community draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement and community.
Berkeley Carroll seeks a full-time Lower School Spanish Specialist Teacher to start in September 2023. At Berkeley Carroll, we begin Spanish instruction with our youngest learners. In pre-Kindergarten, Spanish is taught as part of the classroom activities by the classroom-based Spanish Associate. Starting in Kindergarten, Spanish specialists push into classrooms multiple times per week for dedicated Spanish instruction. By 4th Grade, our students are able to conduct short interactions with simple full sentences about a range of everyday activities and interests.
Candidates must be fluent, have knowledge of language instruction methodology, and a strong understanding of meeting the developmental and learning needs of elementary students. The Lower School Spanish Department offers a comprehension-based communicative approach to language acquisition based on conversation, activities, songs and projects, and intercultural communication. Students actively engage in the target language to develop language confidence.
THIS POSITION INCLUDES:
- Collaborating with grade level and departmental colleagues to develop lessons using a communicative-based approach to language instruction
- Managing the scope and sequence of the curriculum in concert with other grades
- Preparing daily lessons and materials to meet the needs of a range of learners
- Collaborating with other subject teachers to develop integrated units and projects
- Incorporating school-wide SEL approaches and DEI concepts
- Using a variety of assessment tools to track and support student progress
- Collaborating with homeroom teachers and members of the Student Support Team in meeting the needs of all learners
- Providing enrichment or extension for native or near-native speakers
- Communicating with families via email, phone and meetings regarding student progress
- Performing additional non-classroom duties as needed in the Lower School community
- Fluent in Spanish, must be able to speak write, read in Spanish and teach exclusively in Spanish
- Knowledge of both language instruction and the developmental and learning needs of elementary students
- Familiarity with ACTFL principles and standards
- Master’s Degree in education or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Attention to the role of diversity and identity in a community
- Helpful, but not required: Familiarity with Responsive Classroom and/or RULER
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has the opportunity to experience a sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and will be offered commensurate with experience and credentials. The salary range for this position is $65k-$90k
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Briar Sauro, Assistant Director of Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org
Becky Blumenthal, Dean of Faculty: email@example.com
Erita Doko, Administrative Assistant to the Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org