Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of approximately 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of New York City. Our vibrant learning environment draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents/guardians and students value achievement and community.
The Lower School invites applications for the position of Math Interventionist for the 2022-23 school year. The Math Interventionist has the overall responsibility of working with grade one through four students in need of support both in terms of remediation and advancement. The Interventionist provides such support through direct instruction, collaboration with the primary teacher, and specialized program implementation.
As a diverse, inclusive school devoted to preparing our students to live and work in an increasingly globalized and multicultural society, BC is particularly interested in professionals with demonstrated interest and experience in working in such a school setting.
- Provide direct instruction to students in need of support
- Design lessons that provide for conceptually-based, differentiated instruction
- Use multiple forms of data to design personalized and engaging instruction
- Work with individual and teams of teachers to determine the needs of students
- Share knowledge and understanding of contemporary mathematics pedagogy and instructional practices
- Collaboratively plan with colleagues, providing influence and insight into how to meet the diverse needs of students
- Serve as a resource and in-house expert in instructional practices and approaches that result in student growth and success
- Experience in teaching mathematics conceptually to elementary grade students
- Deep understanding of constructivist pedagogy associated with conceptually-based teaching
- Experience working with a wide range of student needs, both remedial and advanced
- Skill in implementing practices that are culturally responsive, and a recognition of one’s own biases and how they may impact one’s perspectives and actions
- Understanding of standards-based instruction and reporting
- High degree of assessment literacy with experience using multiple forms of data to make instructional decisions and the capacity to share that knowledge with colleagues
- Understanding of mathematics lesson development that leads to long-term understanding of concepts
- Demonstrated success in partnering with colleagues in meeting the needs of students
- A deep understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion, skill in growing and supporting programs and practices that are culturally responsive, and a recognition of one’s own biases and how they may impact one’s perspectives and actions
- A Masters Degree, preferably in Elementary Education with a concentration in mathematics
- Experience and knowledge associated with TERC and Contexts for Learning, Mathematical Mathematics (Jo Boaler,) and standards-based instruction and reporting
- Previous experience in a similar role serving students and colleagues
- Special education background/certification
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has a true sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Briar Sauro Assistant Director of Lower School: email@example.com
Becky Blumenthal: firstname.lastname@example.org
Erita Doko, Administrative Assistant to the Lower School: email@example.com